(1886 - 1965)
The origins of the company can be traced back to the Czech town of Rudnik, where a wickerwork school was started in 1877. The products were distributed by the Prague merchants Karl and Josef Kraus, who founded the company in 1886. The head office stood in Prague, but was moved to Vienna in 1910. At the turn of the century the company decided to produce artist-designed wicker furniture series, like Thonet and J.& J. Kohn did with bentwood furniture. Around 1900, they also introduced a new product line, using a combination of wood and woven surfaces. The furniture was inspired by English and American Arts & Crafts artists like Gustav Stickley. Later, the company widened its range to include wooden furniture without weaving elements, partly painted white, and furniture covered with raffa strings.
The company’s leading designer from 1901 to 1905 was Hans Vollmer. After this Wilhelm Schmidt took over. Both were students of the famous Wiener Werkstätte architect and designer Josef Hoffmann. Another major designer at the company was Koloman Moser. He designed several chairs in geometric shapes with checkerboard coverings, which were part of the interior furnishing of the Klimt exhibition at the Secession building in Vienna, 1903. Other designers at the company were Adolf Holub, Joseph Urban, Otto Prutscher and Josef Zotti.
Prag-Rudniker Korbwaren-Fabrication existed until 1965.